Mark H. Yamakawa
HDS President & CEO
Aloha Participating Providers,
The Coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic has affected all businesses throughout Hawaii, and we understand it continues to be a burden on your operations. As our communities start to recover and you open your practices to more people in need of dental care, Hawaii Dental Service (HDS) is here to help you with your operational needs.
We are offering the HDS COVID-19 Interim Supplemental Program (the “Program”) – a new, temporary financial support program that DOES NOT have to be repaid to HDS – to help practices alleviate the costs associated with resuming dental operations during the COVID-19 pandemic.
HOW THE PROGRAM WORKS:
- A $10 supplemental payment will be provided, per each eligible commercial and Medicaid patient visit, to the payee of HDS participating dentist(s) in Hawaii, Guam, and Saipan.
- Participating dentists do not have to opt-in to the Program and will automatically receive monthly supplemental payments for eligible patient visits. To opt-out of the Program, contact HDS Professional Relations at [email protected]
- The Program’s eligible time period is retroactive from May 1, 2020 through December 31, 2020.
- One total payment, for all eligible patient visits during the month, will be made for three (3) months and added to a single weekly claim payment that month. If there are no claim payments due the week the supplemental payment is distributed, it will be included in the next week’s claim payment.
- The supplemental payment amount(s) will be noted on the participating dentist’s remittance advice under the “non-claim adjustment” category.
- These payments do not have to be repaid to HDS and will be included on the 2020 IRS Form 1099. Please consult with your accountant for any tax-related questions or concerns.
WHAT PATIENT VISITS ARE ELIGIBLE?
- Patient visits are counted once per patient, per date of service, per provider, and per service location, during the Program time period, May 1, 2020 through December 31, 2020.
- Pre-authorizations, duplicate claims for patient visits, non-par visits, and teledentistry patient encounters are not eligible. Please also note that per HDS Policy, you may not charge PPE costs to the patient.
- Orthodontists that want to participate will submit a patient visit claim using administrative code D8999, with the narrative “COVID-19” and a $0.00 charge amount.
- Claims for patient visits must be received by January 31, 2021 and be in “paid” status by February 28, 2021 to be eligible.